• Digital Signature Certificate (DSC) Applicants can directly approach Certifying Authorities (CAs) with original supporting documents, and self-attested copies will be sufficient in this case
• DSCs can also be obtained, wherever offered by CA, using Aadhar eKYC based authentication, and supporting documents are not required in this case
• A letter/certificate issued by a Bank containing the DSC applicant’s information as retained in the Bank database can be accepted. Such letter/certificate should be certified by the Bank Manager .
Digital Signature Certificates (DSC) are the digital equivalent (that is electronic format) of physical or paper certificates. Few Examples of physical certificates are drivers' licenses, passports or membership cards. Certificates serve as proof of identity of an individual for a certain purpose; for example, a driver's license identifies someone who can legally drive in a particular country. Likewise, a digital certificate can be presented electronically to prove one’s identity, to access information or services on the Internet or to sign certain documents digitally.
Physical documents are signed manually, similarly, electronic documents, for example e-forms are required to be signed digitally using a Digital Signature Certificate.
A licensed Certifying Authority (CA) issues the digital signature. Certifying Authority (CA) means a person who has been granted a license to issue a digital signature certificate under Section 24 of the Indian IT-Act 2000.
The different types of Digital Signature Certificates are:
Class 2: Here, the identity of a person is verified against a trusted, pre-verified database.
Class 3: This is the highest level where the person needs to present himself or herself in front of a Registration Authority (RA) and prove his/ her identity.
DSC of either Class 2 and Class 3 signing certificate category issued by a licensed Certifying Authority (CA) needs to be obtained for e-Filing on the MCA Portal.
The cost of obtaining a digital signature certificate may vary as there are many entities issuing DSCs and their charges may differ. Kindly check with Certifying Authority directly for charges.
The time generally taken by CAs to issue a DSC may vary from three to seven working days. Also on fulfilment of terms and conditions DSC is issued by some CA’s on same day based on eKYC for Aadhaar Holders.
The Certifying Authorities are authorized to issue a Digital Signature Certificate with a validity of one or two years.
Digital Signatures are legally admissible in a Court of Law, as provided under the provisions of IT Act, 2000.
Kindly follow the steps given below:
1. In Internet Explorer, click on Tools > Internet Options > Security.
2. Click “Internet” and “Default Level” button and change the Security Settings to “Medium”.
3. Click “Custom Level” Button.
4. Enable the “Download Signed ActiveX controls” option.
5. Enable the “Run ActiveX controls and Plugins” option.
6. Enable the “Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting” option.
Kindly follow the steps given below:
1. Download the Certificate corresponding to approved SRN from the FO portal..
2. Open the certificate and check whether the signature is validated or not, if DSC marked as “?” then we need to validate the same.
3. Right click on the signature and click on “Show Signature Properties”.
4. Click on “Show Certificate” tab.
5. We will find 6 tabs in a single row, click on “Trust” tab.
6. Click on “Add to Trusted Identities” tab as shown below
7. Now a dialogue box will appear for the acrobat security on clicking the “Add to Trusted Identities” tab, click on “ok”.
8. Check all check boxes as shown below under Trust Tab. Click on “Ok” button.
9. Click on the “Validate Signature” tab and check the Validity Summary points mentioned under Summary tab will change to green coloured and warning sign as shown below
10. Close the signature properties.
11.The Signature is authenticated then the certificate DSC marked as “?” will turn into green coloured tick mark as shown below. If signature is not valid then user has to raise ticket to get the valid signature.